Saturday, 22 November 2008

Pack Your Bags

I'm travelling alone next year for two months. I have only just decided my route but I'm pretty scared about how I'll fare on my own. My mode of travel between each country will be buses and trains and I'll be camping on designated sites or bush camping most of the way through (considering that I refuse to go to Glastonbury because I don't like being dirty, this is my idea of being brave). I told my mum about my plans and she keeps telling me I won't come back alive. Note to self: Parents do not need to know everything. It's not just my mum though, everyone I've spoken to has encouraged me to book an organised tour with a reputable company as they all think I won't be okay alone. I am shying away from booking a tour because 1) I quite like the idea of being independent 2) I can think of nothing worse than being stuck with people I don't like for two months and 3) I don't like the idea of giving so much money to a big company, I would rather give it to the locals where I am travelling.

There's a picture below showing my general route. Let me know if you have travelled this route before with or without a tour operator or know somebody who has.

6 comments:

Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

Go for it. Organised tours are good but you'll get a lot more out of going alone. It's worth checking out the Thorn Tree section of the Lonely Planet site for hints and tips before you go. Mums will always worry, whether you go to London for the day or to Africa. Just be safe. Most people who are negative about travelling alone just don't have the balls to do it themselves. You're going to have so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, whilst going alone might feel like a good idea, just remember those are some potentially dangerous countries for a girl travelling on her own.

Cleopatra Jones said...

i would just be extra-careful, but i've always wanted to travel alone. it seems like it would be such a great experience!

Ella said...

Jo - As a compromise with my mum I've agreed to do an organised tour from Tanzania to Cape Town and then spend the rest of the time alone in South Africa. I'm so excited!!

theperpetualspiral - That's where the apprehension is coming from, especially given that a lot of the areas I want to visit will not be heavily populated. I think I'll be fine in South Africa though, it will feel a lot more like home.

CJ - You should go for it! I'll spend the next year making you jealous until you do ;)

Time Traveller said...

Wow! That sounds like quite an adventure! Its good to do things like this now - it will be difficult to take 2 months off work when you get a full time job.

But as they said be very very careful!!

How does James feel about this?

Ella said...

TT - His first response when I told him was "but I'll miss you" but me not going was never an option. To be fair though, he did bugger off for 5 weeks to Kenya this summer!