Wednesday, 29 April 2009

Carbs are evil

I love The Mentalist. Uber cheesy, I know, but I'm such a sucker for Five US drama. Time Traveller wrote a post about how sometimes people say things that we never forget. In the last episode of The Mentalist, a really overweight, unattractive truck driver says "It's not my fault, I can't help the way I look" to which the Detective responds "Yes you can, with a low-carb diet you would lose all of that excess weight". Usually, it would be the former statement that would resonate, but after successfully giving up alcohol and junk food for lent my levels of general motivation are generally higher and it's the latter statement that's doing cartwheels in my head. Despite shifting 5 pounds over lent, my tummy is still podgy and I know this is a result of water retention caused by eating too many carbs: toast for breakfast, baked potato for lunch and pasta or rice based meal for dinner everyday. So, I decided yesterday to cut down on (not cut out) my carbs and already I'm in withdrawal - I can't tell you what I would do for a danish pastry, even though I last had one of those babies a couple of years ago. I have tried low-carb before so I know the fatigue etc will pass in a couple of days but I am still a bit miserable. Even so, I re-discovered the perfect carb-free snack today: piri piri biltong. Biltong is a staple for all south/southern africans so I can't believe I had forgotten all about it when it's just so yum!

4 comments:

Cleopatra Jones said...

i once tried going on atkins for a while. i lasted 24 hours before i started scrambling around my house looking for anything with a carb in it. it was hellish. haha. i ended up eating like 6 oreos and i don't even like chocolate. i think i was crazed or something.

Time Traveller said...

Hey - the problem with diets is that they will eventually end. You can't live on a no carb diet forever.

Tummy fat is the hardest to get rid of; you don't want to hear this but do you exercise?

Ella said...

CJ - Haha! I felt quite crazed too, hence the danish pastry even though I don't like pastry! It's day 4 though and the cravings are all but gone now.

TT - Hopefully I can reduce my carb intake forever as opposed to banish them completely, I wouldn't want to live a life with no carbs at all forever. As for exercise, I do yoga once a week and 2 sessions in the gym a week (20 mins on bike, 10 on cross trainer, 20 mins doing mat exercises and 20 mins lifting weights). If I tense I can see lovely toned muscles beneath the tummy fat and general podginess so I don't think it's exercise that's the problem, more diet.

Time Traveller said...

Ah - that's good then :)

Someone once said ...

'its simple burn more calories than you eat and you'll lose weight'

Its easier said than done I guess.