This morning I woke up too scared to switch my TV on. James tried to get me to stay up all night with him to watch the results roll in but I gave up at 2am. I then heard my seven year old niece singing "Obama! Obama!" as she was getting ready for school and I knew that Americans had finally done the right thing, why the hell else would a seven year old know who Obama was? The 'finally' in that statement might seem a tad harsh but we have to remember that I am not alone in having spent the last 8 years shaking my head at the thought that Bush was actually elected and did not stage some elaborately planned coup. I honestly never thought I would live to see a black president outside of 24. While I'm loathe to focus on the fact that Obama is black, one cannot deny just how momentous the election of Barack Obama is for black people around the world.
As Cleopatra Jones said, thank God the world will finally see an entirely different view of black culture and life that doesn't revolve around guns, drugs or hip hop.
My one wish is that we, in Britain could be so interested in our own politics.
Now, lets all pray he doesn't fuck it up and that he really does have the best security team protecting him.
Give me peace and torrid affairs.
2 years ago
3 comments:
it's so exciting! and it's great to hear that people in the UK are excited, too!
I was talking to a work mate about it yesterday and said exactly the same thing "I hope he doesn't fuck it up".
There's a lot of hype to live up to right now...
Fingers crossed!
Post a Comment